SAGA 40 JETFORCEBLACK DIAMOND
The new Black Diamond Saga 40 Jetforce is an avalanche airbag backpack.
It is big enough to carry everything we might need on long outings. It is ideal for snow pros and ski patrols and multiday backcountry trips from hut to hut.
According to research, bulky objects tend to float and stay in the surface in the event of an avalanche. Aquest és el principi de funcionament d'un coixí de seguretat per allaus de neu, ja que augmenta sobtadament el nostre volum per incrementar les nostres possibilitats de romandre a la superfície sense ser sepultats. As an extra feature, the airbag offers protection against the impacts of snow blocks.
A safety airbag greatly helps to avoid getting buried by an avalanche in the vast majority of cases, with a survival rate of 97%.
The amount of injuries is very low if an airbag is triggered (of any brand): 84% of the victims remained unharmed.
What's new about this airbag system by Black Diamond is the way it is triggered. Instead of running on compressed gas cartridges, it uses an integrated battery-powered air compressor they call Jetforce.
The speed of inflation of the airbag is similar to that of compressed gas backpacks. However, the huge advantage it introduces is the possibility to as many practice deployments as we wish. No hassle with compressed gas cylinders, no exchanging, no nothing. We'll simply need to recharge the compressor's battery at home, as if it was a laptop).
We’ll be able to deploy the airbag up to 4 times during a ski day, on a single battery charge. This is a very interesting feature, firstly because nothing ever guarantees that another avalanche will come after the first. Però per altra banda dóna a l'usuari la possibilitat de familiaritzar-se amb l'ús del dispositiu , és a dir inflar i desinflar el coixí tot fent proves, abans de tobar-se dins del enmig del merder...
Another great advantage iseasy air travel. Up to the moment, compressed air backpacks weren't allowed on commercial airline flights. This is history with the Jetforce system, because it carries its own air compressor and a battery, and both of them may be carried without restriction.
The fan is powerful enough to inflate the 200-litre airbag in just 3.5 seconds, and keep working for 3 minutes in different cycles.
After 3 minutes from deployment the bag automatically deflates. If partially or completely buried (3% of cases), this has the potential to create a large volume of air for breathing and/or extraction. If unburied, this simply helps repack the airbag quicker.
Here's how the Jetfore cycles:
- Between seconds 0 and 3.5 from the triggering, the airbag fills at full power to attain swift deployment.
- Seconds 3.5 to 9: the system continues to run at full speed to for safety redundancy. According to past observation, this is normally the period in which a victim may get buried more easily.
- Seconds 9 to 60: 10-60 secs: the system pulses between full speed and half speed, since this is the most likely time to be carried by the avalanche, it is most critical to maintain full volume and recover from any possible tears..
- Seconds 60 to 180: The system has 20s stand-by intervals between 3-second full speed refilling pulses. The goal is to maintain the volume to aide in visibility in case we're afloat or to compact the snow around us in case we're buried in order to create a survival chamber once the airbag completely deflates.
- Second 180 on: the bag automatically deflates. Once deflated, the airbag can be easily repacked (no special folding or tangle pattern.
Charging time: 8 hours to fully charge an empty battery. A Li-ion battery can be conveniently recharged by the user at home, as if it was a laptop.
It is no problem if the battery discharges completely, although it is recommended to keep it fully charged at all times to lengthen the battery life.
On a full charge, the battery can last up to 6 weeks; which should be more than enough for our multi-day outings.
This battery works fine in very cold temperatures, as low as -30ºC (-22ºF) even when the battery is low.
Air intake of the Jetforce:the backrest of the backpack is highly porous and breathable, in order to facilitate the air flow to, although the most part of the oar is taken trough a grate at the bottom of the left side of the pack.
The airbag is triggered by the activation handle, on the left shoulderstrap. The activation handle incorporates auto-check LED lights that indicate the system status at all times. It performs a 'good-to-go' system check on every startup and it also gives us precious information like the battery status and an airbag deployment count (and how many deployments left on the same charge).
To enhance the durability of the airbag, it is covered in Cordura, a high tenacity fabric that is highly resistant to tears and punctures (the airbag is made with the same materials as the airbag of a car).
Diagonal ski carry. IMPORTANT: the backpack only offers the possibility to carry the skis on the front panel. Otherwise, if we carried them on the sides we could obstruct the air intake.
The reACTIV suspension system provides great comfort and allow a wide range of movement.
The reACTIV system includes adjustable SwingArm shoulderstraps that pivot with the hipbelt and efficiently balance the load, to allow a natural movement while skinning uphill or climbing your way to the summit. The backpack moves with you, and not the other way round.
A crotch strap completes the set and keeps us fastened to the backpack for our safety. It is important to fasten this strap because it dramatically reduces the probability that the pack stays on the surface and we are swallowed by the avalanche. It also helps us keep an upright position while the airbag is inflated.
A large double runner zip next to the backrest gives acces to the main compartment.
The Jetforce system cannot be detached from the backpack to be installed on another, although both the battery and the activation handle are removable for easier charging and maintenance. Even if we want to use backpack as a regular pack, we'll have to carry the weight of the compressor.
To our mind, this model will be a game changer for the airbag backpack market.
- Airbag volume: 200 litres.
- Air-travel friendly: no baggage restrictions apply.
- Featuring the Jetforce, a rechargeable air compression system.
- Rechargeable lithium ion battery (28.8 V, 60 A and 43.2 W).
- 4+ deployments on a single charge.
- Battery charger included.
- The battery can be charged at home (charging time: 8 hours).
- Possibility to practice and learn.
- The airbag deflates automatically after 3 minutes.
- Activation handle and "good-to-go" system check by Pieps.
- ergoACTIV suspension system.
- SwingArm shoulderstraps.
- Fast-accessed compartment for safety gear (shovel and probe).
- Diagonal ski carry.
- 1 ice axe loop.
- Drawcord helmet carry.
- 1 pocket on hipbelt.
- 1 internal chest pocket.
- Materials: 840D ballistic nylon, 201 D RipStop nylon and 315D Cordura.
Size S / M: 38 liters; 3,400 g.
SizeM / L: 40 litres, 3,500 g.
Size S / M is recommended for women in general and users who are smaller.
Size M / L is normally recommended for men in general.
Opiniones-Verificadas Empresa independiente, especializada en la recopilación y gestión de opiniones de clientes reales luego de haber realizado una compra en una tienda online. Nuestro objetivo es mejorar la experiencia de compra y satisfacción de los consumidores en el sector del E-commerce. Ver más